By Josh Webber
Jewellery looks beautiful worn but can be ruined if not stored properly. Most individuals who have been tasked with maintaining many pieces of jewellery know that incorrect storage can damage delicate metals. Organising jewellery can be problematic in several ways. However, with a good plan and the right storage materials, it is not overly difficult to keep your jewellery looking as good as it did the day you bought it.
A great place to begin when attempting to organise jewellery is to store each piece separately. Jewellery can easily get scratched, tangled or otherwise damaged when the harder gemstones are allowed to come into contact with soft metals and soft stones, or several necklaces and bracelets become intertwined.
To keep your jewellery looking its best, the ideal storage solution is a purpose-made jewellery organiser, but in a pinch, wrapping each piece of jewellery individually in several layers of tissue paper will work as a temporary measure.
Jewellery Organiser Options
The best option for safe jewellery storage is a case that includes compartments and storage solutions for various types of pieces - rings, necklaces, earrings, and bracelets.
Getting your jewellery organised is a fairly easy task; however, it can positively impact your life in small but significant ways. By utilising a jewellery organiser, you should never be late because you spent fifteen minutes hunting down your favourite necklace, and you should not have to throw out a much-loved pair of earrings because one in the set got damaged due to incorrect storage.
Take a look at the following options for jewellery organisation. Considering the number of different jewellery organisers available, it should not be too difficult a task to find one that suits your needs perfectly.
- Jewellery Boxes: A good jewellery box is one of the best investments you can make for keeping your pieces safe. Choose a box that includes storage for earrings, rings, bracelets, and necklaces to give you the best storage options. Ideally, you want a jewellery box that will allow you to store each piece of jewellery in its separate compartment so that nothing can get scratched.
- Necklace Rods: A necklace rod can be ideal for hanging bracelets and necklaces, and you can even make one yourself by modifying and installing a small towel rail. This is perfect for keeping necklaces and bracelets untangled, and you should not have to hunt for that perfect accessory if you can view all your pieces at once!
- Organiser Bins: A small organiser bin on top of your dresser is a good option for the budget-conscious homeowner. Hardware organisers are ideal for this purpose, as they have a large number of tiny drawers in which jewellery can be stored.
- Earring Boards: An earring board, made of fabric-covered cork, is a great way to use wall space to store earrings, and it's an ideal project if you enjoy handicraft projects. Cover a sheet of cork in fabric and mount it on the wall to instantly give you a way of storing earrings that allows you to see your entire collection at a glance.
- Jewellery Trees: These can be great for storing rings, in particular, and these are especially useful if you're the kind of person who likes to be able to see your entire "inventory" without having to open drawers or boxes.
- Travel Cases: Jewellery organisers intended for travel purposes can be perfect for use at home, too. They store jewellery safely, with compartments for each piece, and many organisers can be stored in a closet, on a wall, or hung from a hook, to save space when you live in a smaller home.
- Jewellery Pouches: Pouches are an excellent extra for expensive pieces. Use these in conjunction with other storage methods to provide an extra layer of protection for diamonds and other costly pieces.
More Tips to Keep your Jewellery Looking Great
There are several extra steps you can take to keep your jewellery and precious metals in pristine condition.
- Whenever you remove a piece of jewellery, store it safely in your jewellery organiser immediately. Don't leave it lying around, where it might get damaged or lost. Make this a habit, and you'll never have to worry about losing your favourite pieces.
- Put a jewellery holder in the kitchen and the bathroom, for those times where you need to take off your jewellery temporarily, such as when you're washing dishes or cleaning.
- Clean your jewellery regularly, even if you haven't worn it often. The key to keeping precious metals and gemstones bright and sparkling is to keep them clean - oils from the skin, dust, cosmetics, hair sprays, and other chemicals dull the shine all too easily.
- For expensive jewellery, such as diamonds, get a professional clean and check-up around once a year. Professional cleaning is best to ensure your expensive jewellery is cleaned safely, and a check-up will take care of potential problems such as loose settings.
I hope that these few tips will help you to keep your jewellery in a good condition so that you can enjoy it for a long time.